Corporate History

“Vent-A-Hood® Limited is a shining example of the entrepreneurial spirit. In 1937, Carr P. Collins, Sr., a Dallas financier and founder of Fidelity Union Life Insurance Company, financed this family-owned company. Miles Woodall, Jr., nephew of Collins, was recruited in 1938 to manage the company. Today, his son, Miles Woodall III, is CEO of the company. The company moved to Richardson in 1961.

Vent-A-Hood® was the first manufacturer of home cooking ventilation and range hoods. The first range hoods were manufactured in a house with a dirt floor in Dallas, and then sold door-to-door. The owners would literally go out and make a sale, then return to the shop to make the hood for the customer. The primary ingredient in the success of kitchen exhaust hoods is Vent-A-Hood®’s uniquely designed, fire safe, “Magic Lung®” blower system. Throughout the years, hoods have been improved, but the original concept is central to the design and remains unequalled in the field of ventilation.

Vent-A-Hood® has developed an excellent reputation throughout the ventilation industry by offering a top quality “in stock” range hood, as well as handmade craftsmanship in their “custom” hood series. Each ventilation system manufactured by Vent-A-Hood® is individually engineered for performance in addition to style. Company longevity and product quality have given the name Vent-A-Hood® instant product recognition.

Currently housed in a modern manufacturing facility, Vent-A-Hood® employs a highly skilled workforce to achieve quality craftsmanship. A national as well as an international marketing program includes an impressive roster of distributors, many of which are second generation. Vent-A-Hood® products are sold in all fifty states, as well as Canada.

Vent-A-Hood® has experienced steady and consistent growth throughout its history and continues to have excellent growth potential. In 2005 it enlarged its manufacturing space 50% to keep up with range hood demand. The company looks forward to a bright future.”

Excerpted from Historic Richardson: An Illustrated History,
Historical Publishing Network, 2001: